The Shanti Uganda Society (www.shantiuganda.org) is a Vancouver based Canadian Charity working in Uganda, East Africa. The Shanti Uganda Society is supported by a thriving group of passionate and dedicated individuals around the world who are all committed towards women’s rights, peace, healing and sustainable development for the communities we support in Uganda.
Shanti Uganda directly supports the 22 HIV positive women in our income generating group, runs a growing program for teen girls, provides educational opportunities for midwives and runs a newly constructed Eco-Birth House.
Shanti Uganda is looking for an outgoing, dynamic individual to join our team and fill the role of volunteer co-ordinator. Reporting to the Executive Director and Development Director, the volunteer co-ordinator organizes about 20 current volunteers and recruits additional volunteers to help support Shanti Uganda’s activities in Vancouver. These activities include helping organize volunteers to run Shanti’s Festival table (at Farmer’s Markets, EPIC Sustainable Living Expo, Vancouver Folk Festival etc.), organizing volunteers to help at special Events (Dance Fundraisers, Dinner Fundraisers etc), and recruit volunteers to support members of Shanti Uganda’s board of directors. The volunteer co-ordinator in conjunction with the Development Director will help plan and organize 4 volunteer meetings each year.
There is opportunity for the volunteer co-ordinator to join Shanti’s Board of Directors in August 2011 as the Volunteer Director if interested.
Approximately 4-6 hours per week, mostly from homeResponsibilities
· Management and co-ordination of festival volunteers
· Recruitment of new volunteers
· Scheduling volunteers to participate in special events and festivals
· Help organize volunteer meetings as needed
· Help update and create volunteer manual
· Respond to emails from potential volunteers
· Attend monthly board meeting and/or meet with Development Director at least once per month
· Communicate with each volunteer directly at least once per month
· Participate in Shanti Events
· Strong leadership skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Exceptional time management skills
· Experience managing volunteers or groups of people
· Computer knowledge an asset
· Have or able to make strong connections in Vancouver to help facilitate recruitment of volunteers
How to Apply
Please email a letter of interest to Bella, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org outlining why you are interested in this position and any past experiences that may contribute to your success in this position. Thank you for your consideration!